Monday 24 March 2014

My first blog of 2014!

This year seems to be flying by and I'm only writing my first blog of 2014 three months after my last blog! I do have one rather big excuse, though.

In February I went to South Africa for three weeks.My main reason for the trip was to celebrate my sister's 70th birthday with her and, of course, there was the added bonus of seeing my son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren as well as my brother and sisters-in-law. I also had a great time catching up with friends. It was a wonderful time and I'm so pleased I went.

 I decided last year that I would go for my sister's birthday; if I hadn't gone, I would never have known what I had missed. My niece organised a wonderful gathering the day before her birthday and then we had a happy day together on her actual birthday. As a big surprise, my nephew flew out from Scotland for his mother's birthday, so that made it extra special. Here I am with my sister and brother-in-law:

February is the hottest month of the year in KwaZulu-Natal and I really felt it! On the Saturday before I left for home, I went to uShaka, a water park on the Durban beach front, with my son and his family and one of my sisters-in-law. We all enjoyed cooling off in the water!

As usual, I returned home with a few pieces of fabric to add to my stash! I haven't used them yet but I've done some sewing since coming home. My first sewing task was to make 40 table napkins for the care home where I work. They look so easy to make but are actually quite time consuming.

I've also tried my hand at making these wooden bead and fabric necklaces. I bought two at a charity shop in Durban and thought I'd give them a go. Softer fabric certainly works better than stiff shwe-shwe fabric from South Africa. They are quite effective, though.

Last weekend I went to London to help my Durban daughter-in-law promote her business at an exhibition in Kensington. Imagine my delight when I found out that the Spring Stitching and Knitting Show was on in the same exhibition centre, the Olympia! I managed to spend a short time wandering around the many stalls and stands. It was all rather overwhelming! I managed to resist temptation except for a few small purchases. But more of that later, as well as my current sewing projects. 

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back in blog land, sounds like your trip to South Africa was full of wonderful times xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! Yes, this trip back to SA was certainly very worthwhile and enjoyable! I enjoyed a good sewing day yesterday so will be blogging again soon. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Margaret, it was nice that you were able to go to South Africa for your sister's birthday. I'm sure you had a great time.

    That necklace is super cute!

    Virna

    ReplyDelete